Children of the New World: New Book That New World Notes Readers Should Enjoy

Thread Started By Second Life

• 37 Vote(s) - 2.84 Average
Rate Thread
Children of the New World: New Book That New World Notes Readers Should Enjoy

[To see links please register here]

is a collection of connected short stories by Alexander Weinstein that's received a lot of advanced literary acclaim (it officially debuts next week):

Children of the New World introduces readers to a near-future world of social media implants, memory manufacturers, dangerously immersive virtual reality games, and alarmingly intuitive robots. Many of these characters live in a utopian future of instant connection and technological gratification that belies an unbridgeable human distance, while others inhabit a post-collapse landscape made primitive by disaster, which they must work to rebuild as we once did millennia ago.

As that description suggests, and as longtime Second Life blogger/voracious reader

confirms, it's a book that virtual world fans should especially enjoy and appreciate:

"It's very moving...and very SL, and also very funny," she tells me. "It is definitely a story that will resonate with Second Life residents. This quote[from the book] could be said today by someone in SL: '"In this world, we seemed to understand, we were free to experience a physical connection that we’d always longed for in the real world but had never been able to achieve. Who can blame us for being reckless?'"

She goes on: "'Migration' is another story [from the book] that will resonate with SL folks. It is in a future where nearly everything is done virtually. People put on latex suits that conduct sensations. The narrator teaches virtually. People have sex with avatars quite freely and have multiple genital attachments they can put where they like, so multiple penises and multiple vaginas. It's amusing and inventive. Here is a quote from that story, 'After fifteen years of marriage we still manage to have sex with each other’s avatars two to three times a week.' Hilariously funny and heartbreaking at the same time."

For that matter, she adds, "I knew from that first story that this would be an outstanding book, on my best of the year list."

If that doesn't convince you to give it a look,

Pic of Cajsa

Please share this post:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Virtual World Fans Will Love the Upcoming Worlds Adrift MMO Second Life 0 3,327 01-14-2017, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Second Life
  Yes, New World Notes Has a New Layout Second Life 0 3,065 01-09-2017, 10:35 PM
  Top Five New World Notes Posts from Last Week! Second Life 0 2,555 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM
  Yes, New World Notes Has a New Layout Second Life 0 2,775 01-07-2017, 04:05 PM
  Yes, New World Notes Has a New Layout Second Life 0 2,697 01-06-2017, 03:49 PM
  New World Notes: Selected Highlights & Top Posts of 2016 Second Life 0 2,353 01-04-2017, 03:20 PM
  My 10 Personal Favorite New World Notes Posts of 2016 Second Life 0 2,301 01-02-2017, 09:08 PM
  New World Notes: Selected Highlights & Top Posts of 2016 Second Life 0 2,183 01-02-2017, 09:08 PM
  My 10 Personal Favorite New World Notes Posts of 2016 Second Life 0 2,446 01-02-2017, 03:07 PM
  My 10 Personal Favorite New World Notes Posts of 2016 Second Life 0 2,451 12-30-2016, 08:46 PM