Overwhelmed and confused

Thread Started By MissV

• 61 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Rate Thread
I have learned how to pull mesh out of SL i think. What i am trying to figure out is how to get in back into SL in a usuable format. I have even gone to the forums here and downloaded something to try and see if i could import that but i cannot figure it out. I know there are many tutorials out there but none seem to be explaining it to me in a way i understand 

my list of questions:
​1. the way i have exported an item from sl is i use the pie menu and click more twice and then save as then collada. then i have been told to repeat the process but insted of collada i click backup whih is supposed to get the texture. Correct?

​2. I assume i cannot then just import them right after exporting so i would love someone to give me a tutorial for the steps in between. i wold prefer a written one as i do better with words.

3. with the things people have shared what are the steps to get those into SL?

​If this is in the wrong forum i apologize. Thanks in advance.

What viewer are you using? that could effect the process.

I was using Firestorm professional but i also have Darkstorm

I am also trying to figure out how to even get anything to share here on the forums. When I try then test the object in Osgrid, nothing works (either it's unusable, needs rigging or attaches to my arm)...I did get a cherry tree to work once, but am talking clothes or hair.  What's the point of exporting just to have to rig it again to bring it back in world (something I am just learning how to do as well) D:

Also, this is my 4th try at an account here, they keep getting banned when I've never even downloaded anything, I am here for the tutorials to learn how to post things for people, I love to share and well, am always broke lol- but this takes tons of time!!! I see there is a tool we can download to help, but any thread I see is that it has a nasty virus (false positive but still, is it worth risking my gaming laptop & computer or families network).

Not sure where to start & frusterated as well :/ but eager to learn >.<

Same here... I really want to share.. But can't find the right tutorials..

(04-21-2017, 05:35 PM)MissV Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

my list of questions:
​1. the way i have exported an item from sl is i use the pie menu and click more twice and then save as then collada. then i have been told to repeat the process but insted of collada i click backup whih is supposed to get the texture. Correct?

​2. I assume i cannot then just import them right after exporting so i would love someone to give me a tutorial for the steps in between. i wold prefer a written one as i do better with words.

3. with the things people have shared what are the steps to get those into SL?

1.Yes and sometimes you can export as a linkset. That is usually things like inworld objects, like buildings or complex items.
2.Yes actually you can if they are non-rigged items. Think of rigged as using a skeletal foundation for movement. Like shoes, clothes, and accessories.
3.To get them into SL, I would strongly suggest to have a beta grid account to test before actually using a live account to upload. Use the Build menu-> Upload. Type of upload will depend on what you are uploading. IE: .dae uses Mesh Model. *note that options are different if the dae is non-rigged as weighted objects are not exported as rigged.
(05-17-2017, 02:07 PM)DarkPopsicle Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Also, this is my 4th try at an account here, they keep getting banned when I've never even downloaded anything, I am here for the tutorials to learn how to post things for people, I love to share and well, am always broke lol- but this takes tons of time!!! I see there is a tool we can download to help, but any thread I see is that it has a nasty virus (false positive but still, is it worth risking my gaming laptop & computer or families network).

Not sure where to start & frusterated as well :/ but eager to learn >.<

I totally understand that frustration. I went thru that as well though with the same account. I finally did the pay thing. I don't learn on a timetable and I needed to download things to learn. I don't download things from 'old' threads unless recents comments show it's good. General consensus is that if it's bad people will flame it. I to love to share, I just don't have the time. Though that will change in the next few months. If you do that will make it easier. As you can go to sims and grab some latest skin, object, or texture. Sometimes it's not that it's new it's that you don't see it here. Start small and when you learn then upload the more 'demanded' or complex items. Maybe even, using the same thread, go thru a beginners guide to learning. I would love to see something like that here. Kinda these are the questions I had and the problems I encountered.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am confused about Rigging Sir_Fabz 2 2,032 03-10-2020, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Sir_Fabz